The Matto Law Firm
Seattle Criminal Defense Attorney Attorney Profile Criminal Defense Client Testimonials Contact Us
Charged with a DUI? Let me use my knowledge to fight for you. Get instructions on how, when and why to save your license. You need experienced, dedicated and focused representation.
Criminal Defense
Infraction Defense
Theft Crimes
Drug Charges
Sex Crimes
Felonies & Misdemeanors

Frequently Asked Questions about Washington DUI

Can a breathalyzer test that measures less than .08 percent still result in a DUI?

A blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 percent or more constitutes evidence of drunk driving in Washington. You can still be charged with DUI, however, when your BAC measures below the legal limit if you have demonstrated an impaired ability to drive as witnessed or observed by law enforcement. This DUI will be based on the opinion of the arresting officer, including any field sobriety or other tests conducted at the time.

What is a Minor DUI in Washington?

This term applies to those under the age of 21 who are arrested for DUI. Washington maintains very strict rules for those under 21 in regards to drunk driving. If your blood alcohol concentration (BAC) measures more than .02 percent, you can be charged with DUI. Whether your driving showed signs of impairment or not is irrelevant. The consequences of a minor DUI conviction include up to 90 days in jail, up to $1,000 in fines, probation of up to two years, possible alcohol assessment and / or education, community service, and attendance at a DUI victim's panel. You will also lose your license for a minimum of 90 days by the Department of Licensing.

What is an ignition interlock device and who is eligible for one after a DUI?

An ignition interlock device is a device which is installed in your vehicle which detects alcohol when you blow into it. If the device detects alcohol above the programmed limit, your vehicle will not start. If the alcohol level is below this, your engine will start. You may be required to use the device periodically while driving. Generally, those who are eligible for this device must have it installed and monitored at their own expense. Anyone whose license has been suspended following a DUI conviction is generally eligible to apply for an ignition interlock license. Washington SR22 insurance will be required.

Will my DUI case go to trial?

Most DUI cases are settled before trial and do not go to trial. This does not mean that your case won't go to trial; all cases are different, with different facts, circumstances, and other factors which will dictate how they are handled. That is why it is important to consult with an experienced DUI defense attorney about the particulars of your case to get the advice and guidance you need.

What is involved in "electronic home monitoring?"

In electronic home monitoring, (also known as house arrest) you are restricted to staying at home, except to go to work, alcohol classes or treatment, or to medical appointments. An electronic bracelet will be placed around your ankle which monitors your movement. If you move outside the determined range of motion, the bracelet will alert a monitoring station. The benefits of house arrest are that you are not confined to a jail and are free to move around within your own home.

What is a DUI for a commercial truck driver?

If you hold a commercial driver's license in Washington, you can be charged with a DUI if your blood alcohol concentration measures .04 percent or higher. In a first-time conviction, you will lose your license for one year. If you were driving hazardous materials, you will lose your license for three years. For subsequent convictions, you will lose your license for life.

Click here for our BAC Calculator.
Click here to read more criminal defense information on our blog.
Attorney Web Design

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

Address: 15215 SE 272 St., Suite 110, Kent, WA 98042 Phone: (253) 332-4879